EGK

What Are You Reading?

I was given a great new christian book to read recently. What are you reading that you can recommend?

Hi EGK!

What book was it?

Here is a must read for A LOT of people that have been through a "performance-based" religion. It has helped me tremendously to read this book.

"What's so Amazing About Grace" by Philip Yancey

Click Here to Buy the Book

Steve,

Wall recomended to me, "Twelve ordinary Men" By John Mc Arthur. My all time favorites are written by A W Tozer, "The Knowledge of the Holy, The Pursuit of God, The Attributes of God, Volumes one and two". Just finished the book of "Job" by J Vernon Mc Gee.

EGK

This is a really great book I finished reading and has been helping quite abit and I would recomend it to anyone and everyone! I learned so much about who I am and why I am the way I am and ways to help me be the way God had always planned.

Wild at Heart

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Boo...SBF|670678|1010

The way of the Wild Heart

This one here is also from John Eldridge-I am reading this one now as it is more indepth then Wild at heart ;

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Wild-Heart-Mascu...y/dp/0785206779

John Eldridge Books;

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...John%20Eldredge

Here is another book that Wall recommended and I endorse that as well:

"Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller

Click Here to view the Author's Website

Here's an excerpt from the end of the book:

"I want you to know Jesus too. This book is about the songs my friends and I are singing. This is what God is doing in our lives. But what song will you sing when your soul gets set free? I think it will be something true and beautiful. If you haven’t done it in a while, pray and talk to Jesus. Ask Him to become real to you. Ask Him to forgive you of self-addiction, ask Him to put a song in your heart. I can’t think of anything better that could happen to you than this. Much love to you and thanks for listening to us sing."

Hi EGK!

What book was it?

Here is a must read for A LOT of people that have been through a "performance-based" religion. It has helped me tremendously to read this book.

I also enjoyed this book. The author brings up alot of thought provoking views.

There is another book that was given to me many years ago. It is a study of the psychology and reasoning of why people are compelled to join a cause or a mass movement. This goes from christianity to nationalism and communism. It is only 160 pages but worth the read. This was actually given to me by a Molokan minister as a must read.

The book is: "The True Believer by Eric Hoffer

EGK

Thanks EGK!

This is a good topic, so we can share with each other and others some good books that we have read or been recommended to us.

Here's another one:

"Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl

Click Here to Buy The Book

It's about his experiences from being a prisoner in a concentration camp.

Edited by stevepiv

I like to read.

I am currently in the middle of "Choosing Forgiveness" by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and just finished "Amazing Grace" by Dr. Charles Stanley.

I read "Amazing Grace" twice!

Cheryl

Hi EGK!

What book was it?

By the way Wall I have your book. I kept hearing Andy Rooney's voice while I was reading.....wierd.

I have a few to put into the loop, next time we meet I'll give them to you.

Hi EGK!

What book was it?

By the way Wall I have your book. I kept hearing Andy Rooney's voice while I was reading.....wierd.

I have a few to put into the loop, next time we meet I'll give them to you.

Sounds good.

1st. and 2nd. Peter

A truly good read! I have through the years used J Vernon McGee's '"Thru The Bible Series" to read through and study the bible. He has a great homespun wit in his commentaries. They let you read the scripture and the commentary along side of each other which is like having a bible scholar right there with you. You can get these through Amazon.com used very cheap.

EGK

Edited by EGK

1st. and 2nd. Peter

A truly good read! I have through the years used J Vernon McGee's '"Thru The Bible Series" to read through and study the bible. He has a great homespun wit in his commentaries. They let you read the scripture and the commentary along side of each other which is like having a bible scholar right there with you. You can get these through Amazon.com used very cheap.

EGK

"where the rubber meets the road" I remember listening to his radio program on the way home from Sunday school that was at the old UMCA next to the 5 fwy. 1960's Valiant 4 door with a slant 6 under the hood no seat belts required.......looong time ago

I finished another book at Shaver:

"Hurt People...Hurt People" is for anyone and everyone who has been hurt at one time or another in their life. It leads you through the process of forgiveness and letting go. True forgiveness is required from all of God's children.

Cheryl

Recommended by the wife, for all wives. "Created To Be His Help Meet" by Debi Pearl.

www.createdtobehishelpmeet.org

But my favorite has to be "Romans" by The God of Heaven and Earth (There was a ghost writer by the name of Paul)

Epicenter

Joel Rosenberg

• Hardcover: 336 pages
  • Publisher: Tyndale House Publishers (September 1, 2006)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1414311354
  • ISBN-13: 978-1414311357
From the Inside Flap

From the author who predicted 'a kamikaze attack on the U.S.' a war with Saddam, the death of Yasser Arafat and Iran's nuclear threat against Israel come 10 new predictions that will change your world. Epicenter gives you the headlines before they happen. Epicenter explains what is happening in the Middle East and how it will impact you. Epicenter provides inside information found nowhere else, including: Exclusive interviews with top political, military, intelligence, business, and religious leaders in Israel, Iran, Iraq and Russia; Previously classified documents from the CIA, Pentagon, and White House; An exclusive poll of American attitudes towards biblical prophecy, Israel, and current events. Joel C. Rosenberg is the New York Times best-selling author of The Last Jihad, The Last Days, The Ezekiel Option and The Copper Scroll, with more than one million copies in print. Joel is a writer and communications strategist who has worked for some of the world's most influential and provocative leaders, including Steve Forbes, former Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and former Israeli deputy prime minister Natan Sharansky. A front-page Sunday New York Times profile called him a 'force in the capital.' A former political columnist for World magazine, he has been interviewed on over 300 radio and TV programs, including ABC's Nightline, CNN Headline News, Fox News Channel, The History Channel, MSNBC, The Rush Limbaugh Show, and The Sean Hannity Show.

http://www.joelrosenberg.com/epicenter.asp

Have any of you read any of Tim LaHaye's books ?

I never have, but I recently got a book-on-tape of his "The Merciful God of Prophecy", and before I listened to it, wanted to know something about him.

Any thoughts on him, and his religious view(s) ?

The left behind series are interesting

In my opinion, of course, the sequels are never as good as the first

At least check out the first one

It's an easy read (probably a couple hundred pages)

A sitting or two should do

It's not real deep...

The original is better

Two excellent and easy to understand books to read, one is about early christian church history written by a Jewish author. The author is a Rhodes scholar from Harvard Law school and is a professor at George Mason University.

The book is, "When Jesus Became God" by Richard E Rubenstein.

The second book is the story of how the New Testament bible wording was put together and how the early christian scribes and later professional scribes translated and inserted and misquoted original texts. The author is the Chairman of religious studies at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.

The book is, "Misquoting Jesus" by Bart D Ehrman

If you have ever been interested in early christianity and it's struggles read these two. For how can you know where you are going unless you know where you have been? These are not feel good books like Tim La Hayes but documented history.

EGK

I cannot advocate reading either one of those for anyone who considered themselves a Christian

You have a non-Christian attempting to deny the Deity of Jesus

The second book calls into question the veracity of Scripture

These are both earmarks of cults

EGK won't deal with the facts brought forth in dialog, but will engage in deceptive practices to get people to be swayed by this garbage

Why would EGK advocate reading this junk?

Do they agree with the contents?

If they do, they ARE NOT my, nor anyone else's Christian brother

More so, they are dangerous

Review excerpt from Amazon

The Gospel narratives may suggest that Jesus was divine, but they do not insist upon it. Hundreds of years after Jesus' death, the Church councils made Jesus' divinity a central tenet of belief among many of his followers. When Jesus Became God: The Epic Fight over Christ's Divinity in the Last Days of Rome by Richard Rubenstein is a narrative history of Christians' early efforts to define Christianity by convening councils and writing creeds. Rubenstein is most interested in the battle between Arius, Presbyter of Alexandria, and Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria. Arius said that Christ did not share God's nature but was the first creature God created. Athanasius said that Christ was fully God. At the Council of Nicea in 325, the Church Fathers came down on Athanasius's side and made Arius's belief a heresy.

Two excellent and easy to understand books to read, one is about early christian church history written by a Jewish author. The author is a Rhodes scholar from Harvard Law school and is a professor at George Mason University.

The second book is the story of how the New Testament bible wording was put together and how the early christian scribes and later professional scribes translated and inserted and misquoted original texts. The author is the Chairman of religious studies at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.

If you have ever been interested in early christianity and it's struggles read these two. For how can you know where you are going unless you know where you have been? These are not feel good books like Tim La Hayes but documented history.

EGK

Another attempt to chop at the root of the core tenets of Christianity

EGK is again a deceiver and not my "brother"

This book lumps Christianity in with fanaticism

Review from Amazon

A highly provocative, bestselling analysis of the fanatic -- the individual compelled to join a cause, any cause -- and a penetrating study of mass movements from early Christianity to modern nationalism and Communism.Reporting on the true believer, Air Hoffer examines with Machiavellian detachment mass movements, from Christianity in its infancy to the national uprisings of our own day. His analysis of the psychology of mass movements is a brilliant and frightening study of the mind of the fanatic, the individual whose, personal failings lead him to join a cause, any cause, even at peril to life -- or yours.

There is another book that was given to me many years ago. It is a study of the psychology and reasoning of why people are compelled to join a cause or a mass movement. This goes from christianity to nationalism and communism. It is only 160 pages but worth the read. This was actually given to me by a Molokan minister as a must read.

The book is: "The True Believer by Eric Hoffer

EGK

I am wonderin if a copy of the S&L happened to get into the hands of .......let's say.......a biblical expert, what would the book review read like????

Something like

the s&l - A compelling account of lust, deception and pure evil straight for the pit of Hell.

A book that has turned many away from simple Biblical truth by appealing to the base instincts of sinful man.

If there was ever a book that could be the model for cult practices, this is the one

A must read for the Biblically illiterate looking for a religion to fill the lusts of the flesh and it's contents can still be revered by those very same people as "holy writings"

Even those who say they are Christian will quietly compromise their beliefs by not speaking out against it for fear of being thrown out of a cult

Amazing and sickening...It's pages can be used to stoke the fires of Hell

Two thumbs down

I am wonderin if a copy of the S&L happened to get into the hands of .......let's say.......a biblical expert, what would the book review read like????

Something like

the s&l - A compelling account of lust, deception and pure evil straight for the pit of Hell.

A book that has turned many away from simple Biblical truth by appealing to the base instincts of sinful man.

If there was ever a book that could be the model for cult practices, this is the one

A must read for the Biblically illiterate looking for a religion to fill the lusts of the flesh and it's contents can still be revered by those very same people as "holy writings"

Even those who say they are Christian will quietly compromise their beliefs by not speaking out against it for fear of being thrown out of a cult

Amazing and sickening...It's pages can be used to stoke the fires of Hell

Two thumbs down

A great review! The POPE could not have said it better! What fear comes from those who have their heads buried in the sands of deception! Bring on the Crusades, the Veneration of Mary, St Nicholas, Inquisitions, Purgatory, Anti-semitism and all the power of Rome to which you prescribe.

EGK

I cannot advocate reading either one of those for anyone who considered themselves a Christian

You have a non-Christian attempting to deny the Deity of Jesus

The second book calls into question the veracity of Scripture

These are both earmarks of cults

EGK won't deal with the facts brought forth in dialog, but will engage in deceptive practices to get people to be swayed by this garbage

Why would EGK advocate reading this junk?

Do they agree with the contents?

If they do, they ARE NOT my, nor anyone else's Christian brother

More so, they are dangerous

Review excerpt from Amazon

The Gospel narratives may suggest that Jesus was divine, but they do not insist upon it. Hundreds of years after Jesus' death, the Church councils made Jesus' divinity a central tenet of belief among many of his followers. When Jesus Became God: The Epic Fight over Christ's Divinity in the Last Days of Rome by Richard Rubenstein is a narrative history of Christians' early efforts to define Christianity by convening councils and writing creeds. Rubenstein is most interested in the battle between Arius, Presbyter of Alexandria, and Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria. Arius said that Christ did not share God's nature but was the first creature God created. Athanasius said that Christ was fully God. At the Council of Nicea in 325, the Church Fathers came down on Athanasius's side and made Arius's belief a heresy.

EGK

My Brother Seeking;

Yes I am dangerous! If and when you learn to pull your nose out of the back end of the Papacy, you may learn what history teaches of the beginnings of orthodox christianity. Ever wonder what happened to all the Jews in the early church? Please do not use this part of the forum to vent your hatred of me, this is not what it is for. Let the readers themselves use their own minds to decide what they want to read.

EGK

I don't hate anyone

You deny Jesus as Deity and veracity of Scripture

You are a deceiver and I'm certainly not your "brother"

Grasping at straws my "friend"?

"And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory." (1Timothy 3:16 NKJV)

My Brother Seeking;

Yes I am dangerous! If and when you learn to pull your nose out of the back end of the Papacy, you may learn what history teaches of the beginnings of orthodox christianity. Ever wonder what happened to all the Jews in the early church? Please do not use this part of the forum to vent your hatred of me, this is not what it is for. Let the readers themselves use their own minds to decide what they want to read.

EGK

You know full well you are lying my little "friend"

In fact your precious little form of molokanism ACTUALLY advocates Purgatory & Anti-semitism (and other forms of racism)

As to the rest of your hyperbolic rhetoric, it's obviously you have not read any of my posts to date

A great review! The POPE could not have said it better! What fear comes from those who have their heads buried in the sands of deception! Bring on the Crusades, the Veneration of Mary, St Nicholas, Inquisitions, Purgatory, Anti-semitism and all the power of Rome to which you prescribe.

EGK

In fact your precious little form of molokanism ACTUALLY advocates Purgatory & Anti-semitism (and other forms of racism)

As to the rest of your hyperbolic rhetoric, it's obviously you have not read any of my posts to date

EGK

Seeking;

This part of the forum is about books not your posts! Nor is it about what you think of me, any way if you know so much about first century christianity how about a few good book recomendations! I am sure you are well read about the subject and can give me some names of seeking the truth approved reads. Or do you only judge books by their covers?

EGK

You advocated 2 books that call into question the veracity of Scripture & the Deity of Jesus

Of what value is that for the Christian?

You have an agenda and it's not Biblical

This is not personal...you are bringing forth lies and that makes you a liar

Whether you are a "nice guy" and a liar or a "jerk" and a liar doesn't enter into it

As to a recommendation, how about The Bible - Maybe you've heard of it

“All Scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,” (2Timothy 3:16 NKJV)

Seems like it should be a good read

EGK

Seeking;

This part of the forum is about books not your posts! Nor is it about what you think of me, any way if you know so much about first century christianity how about a few good book recomendations! I am sure you are well read about the subject and can give me some names of seeking the truth approved reads. Or do you only judge books by their covers?

EGK

Facing Your Giants by Max Lucado

Click Here to view book review

Here are a few awesome quotes I read from that book today:

"You'll never know that Jesus is all you need; until, Jesus is all you have."

"Humilty doesn't mean you think less of yourself, but that you think of yourself less."

"Why listen to the mockers...when you can, with the same ear, listen to the voice of God."

"God knows the sorrow of a grave. He buried His Son. But, He also knows the joy of Resurrection. And by His Power, you will too."

"Christ lived the life we could not live, took the punishment we could not take, to offer the Hope we cannot resist."

-----

All in all, it's a great read. I am up to chapter 7 , the chapters are short and very inspiring. He bases the story of David and Goliath, Saul, Jonathan...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bronze_Bow

The Bronze Bow

by: Elizabeth George Speare

This book has been around for a few years, but I haven't read it until now. Actually didn't read it, got the book-on-tapes for the past weekends trip to Fresno. Fascinating book. Read the Wikipedia review. I recommend this book highly, for an inspirational read.

Christmas is just around the corner.

We must remember that even in our giving, if we are not giving in the name of

Jesus Christ, for His glory and honor and praise, than our giving is in vain.

Christmas is all about Jesus.

I am learning to appreciate this time of year more and more.

This is a good book to help you get to the heart of Christmas.

Jesus Christ.

Book - God in the Manger The Miraculous Birth of Christ

Author - John Macarthur

Buy Here

Here is a couple paragraphs from the book-

I believe an analysis of Hebrews 1:1–14 is a fitting capstone to a book on the birth of Christ. It ensures that when you consider the baby in the Bethlehem shelter, you don’t merely see an adorable child who grew up to be a good teacher and compassionate healer. The passage points you beyond that and to an accurate understanding of the person and work of Christ. The writer, through careful, Spirit-inspired argumentation, declares irrefutably that the Child born to Mary was indeed God in the manger. He truly was the Son of God, miraculously conceived by the Holy Spirit yet born naturally to a woman in Israel. And without doubt He was the Lord and Savior who lived a perfect life and died as a perfect sacrifice so that all who believe in Him might have eternal life…

If we have a clear understanding of the essential truths from Hebrews, we’ll never lose sight of the reality that the Child in the Bethlehem manger was more than a sweet and innocent infant born in extraordinary circumstances—He was first and foremost the almighty God of the universe who humbly came to earth in human flesh to seek and to save the lost (Matt. 18:11; Luke 19:10; 5:32; Rom. 5:8).

MacArthur, John: God in the Manger : The Miraculous Birth of Christ. Nashville, Tenn. : W Pub. Group, 2001, S. 155

No portion of thisbook may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means—electronic, mechanical, photocopy, recording, or other—except for brief quotations in printed reviews, without the prior permission of the publisher.

Christmas is just around the corner.

We must remember that even in our giving, if we are not giving in the name of

Jesus Christ, for His glory and honor and praise, than our giving is in vain.

Christmas is all about Jesus.

I am learning to appreciate this time of year more and more.

This is a good book to help you get to the heart of Christmas.

Jesus Christ.

Book - God in the Manger The Miraculous Birth of Christ

Author - John Macarthur

Buy Here

Here is a couple paragraphs from the book-

I believe an analysis of Hebrews 1:1–14 is a fitting capstone to a book on the birth of Christ. It ensures that when you consider the baby in the Bethlehem shelter, you don’t merely see an adorable child who grew up to be a good teacher and compassionate healer. The passage points you beyond that and to an accurate understanding of the person and work of Christ. The writer, through careful, Spirit-inspired argumentation, declares irrefutably that the Child born to Mary was indeed God in the manger. He truly was the Son of God, miraculously conceived by the Holy Spirit yet born naturally to a woman in Israel. And without doubt He was the Lord and Savior who lived a perfect life and died as a perfect sacrifice so that all who believe in Him might have eternal life…

If we have a clear understanding of the essential truths from Hebrews, we’ll never lose sight of the reality that the Child in the Bethlehem manger was more than a sweet and innocent infant born in extraordinary circumstances—He was first and foremost the almighty God of the universe who humbly came to earth in human flesh to seek and to save the lost (Matt. 18:11; Luke 19:10; 5:32; Rom. 5:8).

MacArthur, John: God in the Manger : The Miraculous Birth of Christ. Nashville, Tenn. : W Pub. Group, 2001, S. 155

No portion of thisbook may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means—electronic, mechanical, photocopy, recording, or other—except for brief quotations in printed reviews, without the prior permission of the publisher.

I found two books from the Pastor of Cornerstone Church in Simi Valley very interesting, Francis Chan. A great light and thought provoking;

The Forgotten God: Reversing our tragic neglect of the Holy Spirit.

Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a relentless God

EGK

Interesting you would advocate book from such a person...

Seeing as your last picks denied the Deity of Jesus AND the veracity of Scripture

Which is it for you?

From their statement of faith... (Cornerstone Community Church - Simi Valley)

We Believe:

The Bible is the inspired, inerrant and authoritative Word of God for the Christian faith

and living. (The Bible)

That there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

(God the Father)

In the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, His sinless life, His miracles, His vicarious and atoning death, His bodily resurrection, His ascension to the right hand of the Father and His personal return in power and glory. (God the Son)

In the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling every Christian is able to live a godly life. (God the Holy Spirit)

That all people are lost sinners and must turn to Christ in saving faith and repentance for regeneration by the Holy Spirit. (Salvation)

In the resurrection of both those who believe in Jesus and those who do not believe: those believing to eternal life with Christ and those unbelieving to eternal punishment in hell.

Interesting you would advocate book from such a person...

Seeing as your last picks denied the Deity of Jesus AND the veracity of Scripture

Which is it for you?

From their statement of faith... (Cornerstone Community Church - Simi Valley)

We Believe:

The Bible is the inspired, inerrant and authoritative Word of God for the Christian faith

and living. (The Bible)

That there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

(God the Father)

In the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, His sinless life, His miracles, His vicarious and atoning death, His bodily resurrection, His ascension to the right hand of the Father and His personal return in power and glory. (God the Son)

In the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling every Christian is able to live a godly life. (God the Holy Spirit)

That all people are lost sinners and must turn to Christ in saving faith and repentance for regeneration by the Holy Spirit. (Salvation)

In the resurrection of both those who believe in Jesus and those who do not believe: those believing to eternal life with Christ and those unbelieving to eternal punishment in hell.

I read the "DaVinci Code", does that make me an atheist too?

Grow up!!

EGK

Two books you "recommended" both were direct assaults upon the core tenets of Christianity

Why would ANYONE do that unless they were a deceiver

That's why I question your advocacy of someone who's tenets are contrary to your recommendations

Seems reasonable...

After seeing the new "read the bible in a year" thread, I was inspired to start my own journey through the bible in a year.

I have logos bible software at home, which has its own customizable reading plan.

It gives a couple chapters of old testament, a couple of new testament, a proverb a day and a psalm a day.

But the plan on here is great too.

What a blessing to be surrounded by His word!

Hot off the press! From monthly newsletter for Turning Point Pregnancy Care Center

HE IS ALIVE! in the 60's it was rumored that God was dead. Many still live as though that misconception is true. In our nation, political activists are attempting to remove any mention of God and His commandants from all things of nation concern in the name of tolerance. At times like these it's important to remember God's interventions on our behalf through the ages. God was "in the beginning" and spoke our very world into existence proclaiming it to be good. His breath breathed into the nostrils of man formed from the dust and made man a living being. He preserved the lives of His chosen people, the Jews, from extermination in Egypt trough their obedience to His word. He sent His own son, Jesus Christ, to pay the death penalty required for our sin---so we might live. He proclaimed victory over death once and for all through His resurrection from death to eternal life so those of us who believe Him will also have eternal life.

We are living in a culture of death. John 10:10a says, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy." The institution of marriage established by God is being destroyed by divorce which is now at 50% of all marriages. The gift of life is being destroyed through abortion---every 3rd baby conceived in the USA. Plans are underway to allow legal assisted suicide for those tired of living as well as euthanasia from those deemed too much of a liability to keep alive. Where's the hope and future in all of this? Is it too late for a revival?

An Old Testament prophet named Ezekiel was asked the same question of God in Ezekiel 37:2, "Son of man, can these bones (dried up and dead) live"? Ezekiel admitted that only God could know. God's response pertains to us today Verse 6b says, " I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord." Sound familiar? God is still breathing. God is still alive. Have you allowed Him to breathe new life into you? Have you accepted Christ's sacrificial death for your sin? May this Easter find you full of gratitude and joy for the free gift of life given for us all.

Patricia E. Goosev

Executive Director of Turning Posit Pregnancy Care Center

681 S. Madera Ave, Suite 107

Kerman, CA 93630

email link

lastinline (Amen)

P.S. Thoughts?