LTTBT

Thought Of The Day

23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

John 5:23 AV

From the Believer's Bible Commentary...

5:23 Here we have the reason God has given authority to His Son to raise the dead and to judge the world. The reason is so that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. This is a most important statement, and one of the clearest proofs in the Bible of the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ. Throughout the Bible we are taught that God alone is to be worshiped. In the Ten Commandments, the people were forbidden to have any god but the one true God. Now we are taught that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. The only conclusion we can come to from this verse is that Jesus Christ is God.

Many people claim to worship God, but deny that Jesus Christ is God. They say that He was a good man or more godlike than any other man who ever lived. But this verse puts Him on an absolute equality with God, and requires that men should give Him the same honor which they give to God the Father. If a person does not honor the Son, then he does not honor the Father. It is useless to claim a love for God if one does not have the same love for the Lord Jesus Christ. If you have never realized before who Jesus Christ is, then ponder this verse carefully. Remember that it is the Word of God, and accept the glorious truth that Jesus Christ is God manifest in the flesh. Believer's Bible Commentary

"Only One Life, Twill Soon Be Past" by C.T. Studd

“Two little lines I heard one day,Traveling along life’s busy way;

Bringing conviction to my heart, And from my mind would not depart;

Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Only one life, yes only one, Soon will its fleeting hours be done;

Then, in ‘that day’ my Lord to meet, And stand before His Judgement seat;

Only one life,’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Only one life, the still small voice, Gently pleads for a better choice

Bidding me selfish aims to leave, And to God’s holy will to cleave;

Only one life, a few brief years, Each with its burdens, hopes, and fears;

Each with its clays I must fulfill, living for self or in His will;

When this bright world would tempt me sore, When Satan would a victory score;

When self would seek to have its way, Then help me Lord with joy to say;

Give me Father, a purpose deep, In joy or sorrow Thy word to keep;

Faithful and true what e’er the strife, Pleasing Thee in my daily life;

Oh let my love with fervor burn, And from the world now let me turn;

Living for Thee, and Thee alone, Bringing Thee pleasure on Thy throne;

Only one life, “twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Only one life, yes only one, Now let me say,”Thy will be done”;

And when at last I’ll hear the call, I know I’ll say “twas worth it all”;

Only one life,’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last. ”

Only one life, ’twill soon be past,only what’s done for Christ will last.

And when I am dying, how happy I’ll be,if the lamp of my life has been burned out for Thee.

Today in Christian History

1521 - German reformer Martin Luther, at the Diet of Worms, proclaimed that a biblical foundation supported the theological position of his "Ninety-Five Theses." Luther ended his defense with the famous words: 'Here I stand! I can do nothing else! God help me! Amen.'

Martin Luther, (November 10, 1483–February 18, 1546), was the leader of the Protestant Reformation in Germany, and was renowned for his enduring literary contribution of translating the Bible into the German language. He became an Augustinian friar and in 1507 was ordained. In 1510 he visited Rome, where he was shocked by the worldliness. He received his doctorate of divinity and in 1512 was appointed professor of philosophy at the University of Wittenberg, where he was promoted to the position of district vicar.

Martin Luther preached daily, and grew immensely popular through his exposition of the Holy Scriptures in the common language. After objecting to the methods Johann Tetzel employed to sell indulgences, Luther posted for debate his 95 Theses, October 31, 1517. He was fiercely attacked, especially by Johann Eck.

On April 18, 1521, when the 21 year old Emperor Charles V summoned him to Diet of Worms to renounce his views, Martin Luther stated:

Here I stand; I can do no other. God help me. Amen.

Declared an outlaw, Martin Luther was protected by Frederick III of Saxony in the Wartburg castle. There he translated the New Testament into the German language in just six months. He attempted to be a moderate, opposing the Peasant's War and resisting the more progressive elements of reformation. In 1525 he married a former nun and together they had six children.

Among his many works, Martin Luther wrote:

"I am much afraid that schools will prove to be the great gates of hell unless they diligently labor in explaining the Holy Scriptures, engraving them in the hearts of youth."

"I advise no one to place his child where the scriptures do not reign paramount. Every institution in which men are not increasingly occupied with the Word of God must become corrupt."

"The Bible was written for men with a head upon their shoulders."

"If I profess with the loudest voice and clearest exposition every portion of the truth of God except precisely that little point which the world and the devil are at that moment attacking, I am not confessing Christ, however boldly I may be professing Christ."

"Where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is proved and to be steady on all the battlefield besides is mere flight and disgrace if he flinches at that one point."

"Where there are no Christians, or perverse and false Christians, it would be well for the authorities to allow them, like heathens, to put away their wives, and to take others, in order that they may not, with their discordant lives, have two hells, both here and there. But let them know that by their divorce they cease to be Christians, and become heathens, and are in the state of damnation."

"In his life, Christ is an example, showing us how to live; in his death, he is a sacrifice, satisfying our sins; in his resurrection, a conqueror; in his ascension, a king; in his intercession, a high priest."

Great Quotations : A Collection of Passages, Phrases, and Quotations Influencing Early and Modern World History Referenced according to their Sources in Literature, Memoirs, Letters, Governmental Documents, Speeches, Charters, Court Decisions and Constitutions.

Grace is a provision for men who are so fallen that they cannot lift the axe of justice, so corrupt that they cannot change their own natures, so averse to God that they cannot turn to Him, so blind that they cannot see Him, so deaf that they cannot hear Him, and so dead that He himself must open their graves and lift them into resurrection.

G.S. Bishop (20th century)

6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,

7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so,

Romans 8:6–7 NASB95

Edited by KevinPolyaNazaroff

The Bible is both divine and human. In a way it is like my Lord who walked down here and grew weary and sat down at a well.

Although He was God, He was man. He talked with people down here and communicated with them. This is a Book that communicates.

It speaks to mankind today. The Bible is for men as they are.

J. V. McGee

The Bible is a corridor between two eternities down which walks the Christ of God;

His invisible steps echo through the Old Testament, but we meet Him face to face in the throne room of the New;

and it is through that Christ alone, crucified for me, that I have found forgiveness for sins and life eternal.

The Old Testament is summed up in the word Christ; the New Testament is summed up in the word Jesus;

and the summary of the whole Bible is that Jesus is the Christ.

—Bishop Pollock

16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof,

for correction, for training in righteousness;

17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

2 Timothy 3:16–17 NASB95

18 Alas, you who are longing for the day of the LORD, For what purpose will the day of the LORD be to you? It will be darkness and not light;

19 As when a man flees from a lion And a bear meets him, Or goes home, leans his hand against the wall And a snake bites him.

20 Will not the day of the LORD be darkness instead of light, Even gloom with no brightness in it?

21 “I hate, I reject your festivals, Nor do I delight in your solemn assemblies.

22 “Even though you offer up to Me burnt offerings and your grain offerings, I will not accept them; And I will not even look at the peace offerings of your fatlings.

23 “Take away from Me the noise of your songs; I will not even listen to the sound of your harps.

24 “But let justice roll down like waters And righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.

Amos 5:18–24 NASB95

THE CROSS ROAD

Christianity has always been a matter of the heart. God has a right to see if your religious activities spring from a deep inward consecration. (Amos 5:18-24) True Christianity begins and ends in the heart. Weak faith reveals weak commitment. Jesus said that many “receive the Word with joy,” but fall away when their faith is tested. (Luke 8:13) Do you realize that the falling away always begins in the heart? The outward aspects of faith may continue, like going to church, tithing, etc., but somewhere along the line the inward state of our heart is going to be tested. Jesus’ hard sayings can make the easy road appear very attractive! Many were offended at this particular word: “You have to eat my flesh and drink my blood, or you have no life in you.” There is only one road to heaven, and it goes straight through the narrow gate of Calvary. Jesus said, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life shall lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it. For what is a man profited if he gains the whole world, and loses or forfeits himself?” (Luke 9:23-25)

On another occasion, Jesus slightly altered the second statement: “He who loves his life (Greek, psyche) loses it; and he who hates his life (psyche) in this world (kosmos) shall keep it to life (zoe) eternal.” (John 12:25) The deliberate choice of words for “life” sheds light on the real meaning. Psyche represents one’s existence on earth, while zoe represents one’s life in God. So Jesus was saying that whoever loves his existence on earth loses it; and he who hates his existence in kosmos shall keep it to a life in God forevermore.”

That statement tests the purity of one’s Christian commitment. Culture has a way of corrupting one’s Christianity. His outward activities may be “Christian” while his inward allegiance is still in kosmos. In our culture, “the preaching of the cross is foolishness.” (1 Corinthians 1:18) To the “many” who shun the narrow way, (Matthew 7:13) the Cross demands too much. It makes no logical sense to them because they approach Christianity from the mindset of kosmos. Beguiled by the low level of consecration they see around them, they protest inwardly, “Aren’t the sacrifices I’ve made enough? I’ve given up drinking, cussing, and fornicating. I ‘deny myself’ every Sunday morning by going to church when I feel like sleeping in.” But they have never been to Calvary inwardly where their old life has been crucified and a new life has begun. Real surrender occurs when we choose the narrow way of the Cross. That’s when the deep changes begin.

On the other hand, the few (Matthew 7:14) who have gone to Calvary see life eternal at the end of the narrow road. It changes the way they view this life. The temporal yields to the eternal. The inconsequential is replaced by the supremely important. This inward change has enabled saints down through the centuries to face hardship, opposition, persecution, and death. They lived out their Christian testimony in the environs of kosmos, but saw themselves as pilgrims in it, not citizens of it. We too must hate our lives in this world, as Jesus said we must. The book of Revelation reveals the fact that those who “overcome” the spirit of Antichrist “loved not their lives unto the death.” (Revelation 12:11 KJV)

Steve Gallagher Intoxicated with Babylon : The Seduction of God's People in the Last Days

THE IDENTITY OF THE CHURCH

“For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ” (1 Corinthians 12:12). All who place their faith in Jesus Christ are immediately placed by the Holy Spirit into one united spiritual body, the church (1 Corinthians 12:12–13), the bride of Christ (2 Corinthians 11:2; Ephesians 5:23–32; Revelation 19:7–8), of which Christ is the head (Ephesians 1:22;4:15; Colossians 1:18).

The formation of the church, the Body of Christ, began on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:1–21, 38–47) and will be completed at the coming of Christ for His own at the Rapture (1 Corinthians 15:51–52; 1 Thessalonians 4:13–18).

The church is thus a unique spiritual organism designed by Christ, made up of all born-again believers in this present age (Ephesians 2:11–3:6). The church is distinct from Israel (1 Corinthians 10:32), a mystery not revealed until this age (Ephesians 3:1–6;5:32).

The establishment and continuity of local churches is clearly taught and defined in the New Testament (Acts 14:23, 27; 20:17, 28; Galatians 1:2; Philippians 1:1; 1 Thessalonians 1:1; 2 Thessalonians 1:1). The members of the one scriptural body are directed to associate themselves together in local assemblies (1 Corinthians 11:18–20; Hebrews 10:25).

The one supreme authority for the church is Christ (Ephesians 1:22; Colossians 1:18). Church leadership, gifts, order, discipline, and worship are all appointed through His sovereignty as found in the Scriptures. The biblically designated officers serving under Christ and over the assembly are elders (males, who are also called bishops, pastors, and pastor- teachers; Acts 20:28; Ephesians 4:11) and deacons, both of whom must meet biblical qualifications (1 Timothy 3:1–13;Titus 1:5–9; 1 Peter 5:1–5).

These leaders lead or rule as servants of Christ (1 Timothy 5:17–22) and have His authority in directing the church. The congregation is to submit to their leadership (Hebrews 13:7, 17).

Vitally important to the church are the practices of discipleship (Matthew 28:19–20; 2 Timothy 2:2), the mutual accountability of all believers to each other (Matthew 18:15–17), and the need for discipline of sinning members of the congregation in accord with the standards of Scripture (Matthew 18:15–22; Acts 5:1–11; 1 Corinthians 5:1–13; 2 Thessalonians 3:6–15; 1 Timothy 1:19, 20; Titus 1:10–16).

The local church should be autonomous, free from any external authority or control, with the right of self-government and freedom from the interference of any hierarchy of individuals or organizations (Titus 1:5). It is scriptural for true churches to cooperate with each other for the presentation and propagation of the faith. Local churches, however, through their pastor and their interpretation and application of Scripture, should be the sole judges of the measure and method of their cooperation (Acts 15:19–31; 20:28; 1 Corinthians 5:4–7, 13; 1 Peter 5:1–4).

The MacArthur Quick Reference Guide to the Bible by John MacArthur

I do not know a warning that I judge more necessary to be given to those who are called this day, than to charge them not to trade too much with their natural gifts, and abilities, and learning. These are talents in their kind; but it is the Spirit that must manage all that learning they have, or it will prejudice them, and you also.

I have known some good men who have been so addicted to their study, that they have thought the last day of the week sufficient to prepare for their ministry, though they employ all the rest of the week in other studies.

But you business is to trade with your spiritual abilities... A man may preach a very good sermon, who is otherwise himself; but he will never make a good minister of Jesus Christ, whose mind and heart [are] not always in the work.

Spiritual gifts will require continual ruminating on the things of the Gospel in our minds.

John Owen, An Ordination Sermon

23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread;

24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”

25 In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”

26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.

1 Corinthians 11:23–26 NASB95

While the information was not new to the Corinthians, because Paul had previously “delivered” it, it is an important reminder. This description of Christ’s final supper with his disciples is one of the most beautiful in all of Scripture, yet it was given in the midst of a strong rebuke of carnal selfishness. If this letter was written before any of the gospels (see Matt. 26:26–30; Mark 14:22–26; Luke 22:17–20; John 13:2), as most conservative scholars believe, then Paul’s instruction was the first biblical record of the institution of the Lord’s Supper—given directly from the Lord and not through his reading of any other apostles (cf. Gal. 1:10–12).

The MacArthur Study Bible

10 For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.

11 For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man.

12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

Galatians 1:10–12 NASB95

THE BOOK OF BOOKS

Born in the East and clothed in Oriental form and imagery, the

Bible walks the ways of all the world with familiar feet, and enters

land after land to find its own everywhere. It has learned to speak

in hundreds of languages to the heart of man. It comes into the

palace to tell the monarch that he is a servant of the Most High,

and into the cottage to assure the peasant that he is a son of God.

Children listen to its stories with wonder and delight, and wise men

ponder them as parables of life. It has a word of peace for the

time of peril, a word of comfort for the time of calamity, a word of

light for the hour of darkness. Its oracles are repeated in the

assembly of the people, and its counsels whispered in the ear of the

lonely. The wicked and the proud tremble at its warnings, but to

the wounded and the penitent it has a mother's voice. The

wilderness and the solitary place have been made glad by it, and

the fire on the hearth has lit the reading of its well-worn pages. It

has woven itself into our dearest dreams; so that love, friendship,

sympathy and devotion, memory and hope put on the beautiful

garments of its treasured speech, breathing of frankincense and