Sign in to follow this  
anakainosis

Does MGR Claim To Be God?

I have a question for you two. Answer me this...I accept the Spirit and Life book as a book of instructions given to our people. I accept that MGR is a martyr for the Molokan people, not a diety and not someone who is worshipped. That said, I accept that salvation only comes from belief in God, through His Son Christ in the Holy Spirit. How say you?

PS. I read the Spirit and Life and accept it in its entirety.

Really, have you read MGR's writtings? do i just keep getting bad copies? You know, the ones where MGR claims to be god and is praised.

I usually don't comment on two year old posts as the one who posted may have completley different beliefs or views on things now-

So I will just address this one part that stood out.

"MGR is a martyr for the Molokan people"

If a person is called a martyr for a group of people in this case Molokans. Does that mean he died for Molokans or he died for Christ?

Was he a Christian martyr or a Molokan Martyr?

I have a question for you two. Answer me this...I accept the Spirit and Life book as a book of instructions given to our people. I accept that MGR is a martyr for the Molokan people, not a diety and not someone who is worshipped. That said, I accept that salvation only comes from belief in God, through His Son Christ in the Holy Spirit. How say you?

Really, have you read MGR's writtings? do i just keep getting bad copies? You know, the ones where MGR claims to be god and is praised.

As per Merriam Webster's Dictionary:

Main Entry: mar·tyr

Pronunciation: \ˈmär-tər\

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English, from Late Latin, from Greek martyr-, martys witness

Date: before 12th century

1: a person who voluntarily suffers death as the penalty of witnessing to and refusing to renounce a religion

2: a person who sacrifices something of great value and especially life itself for the sake of principle

3: victim ; especially : a great or constant sufferer

Main Entry: mar·tyr

Function: transitive verb

Date: before 12th century

1 : to put to death for adhering to a belief, faith, or profession

2 : to inflict agonizing pain on : torture

The word 'martyr' seems to be tossed around these days like pennies into a wishing well. I suppose the qualifications to identify someone as a 'martyr' could be broad as per Webster's definition. I could be considered a martyr to my disability.

According to Easton's below, it is narrowed.

Easton's Bible Dictionary

Martyr

one who bears witness of the truth, and suffers death in the cause of Christ (Acts 22:20; Revelation 2:13; 17:6). In this sense Stephen was the first martyr. The Greek word so rendered in all other cases is translated "witness."

In a court of justice (Matthew 18:16; 26:65; Acts 6:13; 7:58; Hebrews 10:28; 1 Timothy 5:19).

As of one bearing testimony to the truth of what he has seen or known (Luke 24:48; Acts 1:8,22; Romans 1:9; 1 Thessalonians 2:5,10; 1 John 1:2).

Strong's Number: 3144

mavrtu� of uncertain affinity

Transliterated Word TDNT Entry

Martus 4:474,564

Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech

mar'-toos Noun Masculine

Definition:

a witness

in a legal sense

an historical sense

one who is a spectator of anything, e.g. of a contest

in an ethical sense

those who after his example have proved the strength and genuineness of their faith in Christ by undergoing a violent death

I suppose it depends if the writer (ITD) was speaking in a legal, physical, historical or ethical sense.

Cheryl

ps. That was a good question.

Witness does mean martyr (from the greek)

It appears quite a bit in the New Testament

""But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."" (Acts 1:8 NKJV)

Millions of Christians were systemactically murdered by the Romans for proclaiming their Faith in Jesus

I guess that might be where the word took on it's implied meaning of being killed

Did mgr speak out for his "faith"... You would have to say yes

However, his "faith" and The Truth (as found in Scripture) are not the same

'IvanTheDonut' post='7014' date='Jun 8 2006, 12:24 PM']I have a question for you two. Answer me this...I accept the Spirit and Life book as a book of instructions given to our people. I accept that MGR is a martyr for the Molokan people, not a diety and not someone who is worshipped. That said, I accept that salvation only comes from belief in God, through His Son Christ in the Holy Spirit. How say you?

I suppose it depends if the writer (ITD) was speaking in a legal, physical, historical or ethical sense.

Cheryl

Come now, Cheryl. Ivan-hole-in-the-head, states that he believes and accepts the s&l in it's entirety. This clearly, would make him a believer in fairy tales and/or possibly a heretic, since mgr claims to be the messiah.

lastinline (no fog here)